Monday, November 11, 2013

ISON Hunt 2

This morning I waked up at 3 AM (just to be safe).

At first want to mention that whole my observation I was guarded by two police cars.
What did they hide in the middle of the field I do not know.
 
My first target was comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy). While I was trying to find it I got M44 and added it to my Messier list.
 
 
 I really couldn't find the comet Lowejoy.
Only when I've got home I saw it on my pictures.

Here is a closer view

Other tree comets: 2012 S1 (ISON), 2012 X1 (LINEAR), and 2P/Encke I couldn't find not only in my telescope but they weren't captured by my camera too.
Here are locations where I've searched for them:

Even though I did not find all comets I wish I've learned a lot:
- I've learned that I have to do my homework much better. Have to locate comets way before I go to the field. 
- I've found that my best 6mm eyepiece is having so much metal that very small temperature drop generates a lot of vapor on it that makes it impossible to use.
- I've learned that I really need good viewfinder.
- I've learned that I probably need a new telescope.
- I've also learned shapes of constellations of this part of the sky. 

Hopefully next. time I will be better prepared and more more lucky.

Nevertheless that was good morning. Almost perfect sky conditions and some very nice photos:

Orion

Captured the track down of International Space Station:


Sunrise.



No comments:

Post a Comment